Saturday, June 23, 2012

February and Red


We, the Five Coursemen, picked red as the theme for February's dinner. I suppose it was fitting, as red is the unofficial official color of Valentine's Day, and therefore, the entire month. Heart-shaped food was not necessary, nor were pink jelly beans nor those gross cinnamon candies. This was an opportunity to explore the color red, perhaps one of the most important colors in food. Red is the color of blood, of meat, the food to which we humans owe our nice big brains. Red still inspires passion and intensity, expression and vitality. These are the emotions truly amazing food can inspire, both for the creator and the diner.

OK, maybe that's a bit intense, but you get the drift. We love food. We want it done well. I'd rather that people had more passion and inspiration for food, its creation, consumption, gathering, and growing, than guns, cars, shopping, or working. Food helps tell the story of those gathered around it. As Tolkien said, "If more of us valued food and cheer above hoarded gold, it would be a much merrier world."

We welcomed new faces to our dinner, Abe, a foodie well-known to us, and a new friend, Kelly, who can't cook but doesn't mind eating.

Here's the menu:

Pre Dinner Cocktail
Bloody Mary with Spicy Salt Rim, Pickled Asparagus, and Lime and Horseradish Foam
Created By Abe


WOO! This Bloody Mary was bloody brilliant. And bloody hot. The entire drink was hot, bold, brave, and meant to get the juices flowing. Abe makes his own Bloody Mary mix (as should we all) and topped it with a horseradish and lime foam, which floated on top and gave every sip a sweet/zesty/spicy zing. Yet, the tomato kept the drink well-balanced. I'll never look at a Bloody Mary the same way again.



Appetizer
Homemade Port Wine Ricotta, Pork Rillettes, Dried Cherry Beaten Biscuits, and Cranberry Parsley Pesto

Created by Chelsea

Abe paired this dish with a Dry Rose wine from the French Appellation region

I love pork, cheese, port wine, cranberries and making pesto, so this dish was a real treat for me to create. I was interested in exploring food craftsmanship with this dish. I've longed to learn how to make my own cheese, and my ricotta delivered the flavors of black peppercorns and port in a creamy, rich package. Rillettes is an old school French dish, similar to pate. It involves slow-cooked meat, pulled or finely chopped, mixed with herbs, brandy and animal fat. It's traditionally served chilled or at room temperature, spread on fresh baguettes with cornichons. I served it in little shot glasses I got at Ikea. The cranberry pesto was something I thought of doing to offset the richness of cheese, pork and biscuits. I also thought it could replace the role of the cornichons, bringing some bite and tartness to the experience. It involved chopped dried cranberries, fresh parsley, pistachios, pomegranate seeds, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, and fresh garlic. It tasted damn fine, and is also good tossed with some whole wheat angel hair and Parmesan, if I do say so myself. I'll post up a recipe soon!


Soup
Roasted Tomato and Red Pepper Bisque Topped with Crisp Shallots, Fresh Thyme, and Grilled Cheese Truffle Butter Crouton
Created by Nikki

Paired with: Dry German Riesling

Nikki made for us a roasted tomato and roasted red bell pepper bisque. She topped it with a crouton which was broiled with cheddar cheese and truffle butter, crispy shallots and fresh thyme. The soup itself was vibrant, and is what I'd call tomato soup for grown-ups. No sickly sweet high fructose corn syrup nonsense here, folks! Roasting the tomatoes and red bell pepper helped the vegetables develop their natural sugars, which balanced out the brightness of the red bell pepper, and kept the tomato from becoming overly acidic. It was Joy. A smile in a little pretty cup. The crouton was reminiscent of a grilled cheese sandwich, which I broke apart into the soup to suck up more delicious flavor. The truffle butter was faint against the bright flavors of the soup, but lent an elegance to an otherwise simple dish. Crisp shallots gave a crispy crunchy texture and the scent of fresh thyme made it a full sensory experience.

Palette Cleanser of Pomegranate Mojito Granita
Created by Abe

A palette cleanser? Why haven't we thought of this before? This is why we invited Abe. While a picture does not exist of this, it was a refreshing little sigh of crisp pomegranate flavor to get our tongues ready for the rest of the meal.



Main Course
Red Wine, Pineapple and Chile Braised Chicken with Rice
Created by Jocelyn and Nicole

Paired with 2006 Rosa Regale

In an interesting twist, first course and main course were presented together as one offering. Jocelyn marinated the chicken in chilies and whole pineapple. Pineapple's acidity breaks down protein, and had the effect of making the chicken incredibly tender, as if it had been cooking for hours. The sauce was finished off with pineapple juice, roasted garlic cloves, salsa, a dizzying array of chilies, and red wine. It was extremely flavorful, and it was great to have rice to help soak up the sauce. Personally, I would have liked a pitcher of it and just drink it. I'd put it on eggs, braise pork shoulder in it, saute spinach with it, whatever! Just give me more! Joss garnished with chopped cilantro and cotija cheese, which really brought out the red of the sauce.




Dessert
Red Sweets Sampler, Including Red Velvet Cocoa, Red Wine Cake, Lambic Sorbet, and Vanilla Bean Marscapone with Cherry Peppers
Created by Bonni

Paired with Portuguese Tawny Port

Bonni created this dessert sampler using a variety of innovative flavors, techniques and ideas. From left to right, we have Red Velvet Hot Cocoa, Vanilla Bean Marscapone with Cherry Peppers, Red Wine Cake, and Lambic sorbet. The Red Velvet Hot Cocoa was a revelation. If god sent down red velvet hot cocoa instead of rain, it might, might, make a believer out of me. It was SO rich, and offset by a little salt she added. Certain guests (Eddie) poured themselves a whole mug! Needless to say, there wasn't any left by the end of the night.

Bonni wanted to experiment with combining hot and sweet flavors, and I'll say I didn't mind being her taste tester for the Marscapone and Cherry Pepper combination. Bonni makes her own vanilla extract, so we always have a vanilla bean or two around, and it was put to great effect with this. The red wine cake was like a little pillow of rich delight. It was slightly more savory and earthy than the average chocolate cake which I liked. Last but not least, the Lambic sorbet. If you don't know what Framboise Lambic is, you're missing a part of your soul you haven't known was missing yet. It's a Belgian beer brewed with raspberries, and it's the best drink that's ever existed. The best-known brand is Lindemans, and I've been drinking it since I was pretty young (12) when my parents would bring it home. She made it with fresh raspberries, and it was tart, sweet, cold and fruity.




After Dinner Drink
Cinnamon Candied Apple Martini
Jim Bean, Sour Apple Liquor, Cinnamon Schnapps, and Hibiscus Cranberry Juice
Created by Abe

If I couldn't have Framboise anymore, and had to drink one other alcoholic drink, it'd be this. I'm serious, that's how much I liked it. Whiskey, apples, cinnamon, and cranberry. Hi, those are all my favorite things. Abe already knocked it out of the park with his wine pairings, the mojito, Bloody Mary and glowing personality, but after this beverage I was ready to give him my first-born. My hand remained wrapped possesively around my glass, fork poised to strike out at any who might take it. Is this madness? No! This is Sparta! Martini Sparta! Loathe to he who pilfers my beverages. Thrice I see you and thrice you are denied!

Once again, we broke the voting into three categories: Best Interpretation of Theme, Best Presentation, and Best Overall. I am pleased to say I took home Best Overall (though I didn't really have to take it home since I was already home...whatever), Bonni took Best Presentation and Abe walked away with Best Interpretation of Theme.

Please watch out for the next episode, in which the Five (six? seven?) Coursemen deal with secret ingredients, including Bread in a Can, Butterscotch Pudding, Spam, Parsnips, and Kool Aid.

No comments:

Post a Comment